We've had our up years and down years. I've thought I couldn't take anymore then somehow God gave us both strength to take one more day which turned into years.
One particular bad year where we were both at our breaking point. God put something in our path.... the movie "Fireproof".
I watched it and cried. It was exactly what we needed just at the right moment.
It was a new starting point for us. This was 2 years ago. Last year God presented us with another challenge. Bed rest for 10 weeks. I cursed and got really upset but it was a cross God brought to us.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? Yes, it does. My husband saw each and every duty that I did. He was to carry the heavy load of a new business and a household, plus a wife who needed to go to the Dr or hospital every few days.
He was right there next to me holding my hand when I thought and knew I just couldn't do or give anymore. With him I realized I could get through anything. What a change in perspective from 2 short years ago.
My biggest marriage savers were:
- Don't ever argue in front of the kids, take a breath and talk later. Cooling down helps things. I sometimes go get a glass of wine then discuss.
- When it comes to the children stand together, compromise.
- Say a prayer before you enter the home to see your spouse after a long day. Take a breath too.
- Take a date night away from the children.
- Spend at least 30 minutes each night talking about positive things without the kids. Remember why you fell in love with this person.
- Don't talk badly to your friends about your spouse, you can never take it back. Plus it will cause conflict between you and your friend.
- Go to church together and pray together.
My marriage is in a good place. Struggles and hardships have made us stronger together.
The seal to the family is a strong marriage. When your family stays together your children thrive in a safe and loving environment.
My husband is also my best friend. Josh, I love you!